old mill lodge and de oude meul restaurant, situated in oudtshoorn

WhatsApp facebook twitter pinterest linkedin

De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge De Oude Meul Restaurant and Country Lodge

Owners, Christo & Doret Spies welcome you @
Old Mill Country Lodge, Working Ostrich Farm & Restaurant.
Our guests do not get negatively affected by the electricity shortages (load shedding) that is happening in S.A, we have a fully equipped electricity generator.
Our accommodation establishment is not affected by the drought, we do have alternative water resources.

Check Availability & Book Here
For Old Mill Lodge & Restaurant
in Oudtshoorn
To qualify for accommodation discount, enquire directly with us at the contact section


Luxury Self-Cater Sea View Accommodation
@ Breederiver, Witsand

Follow & Like us on Facebook:
Luxury Breede River View @ Witsand

Oudtshoorn Accommodation Oudtshoorn • Oudtshoorn Restaurants Oudtshoorn


The Oude Meul is one of the oldest farms in that valley. Schoeman Plat, bought the whole valley, in 1765, to farm. He had 16 children, so he could give everybody a piece of land to grow up and make such a living. Because the water was near the farmland, the first farmer could easily get water from the river to irrigate his crops.

After the Schoemans, the Spies bought land in the Klein Le Roux River. The Terblanche bought ground at Mattjies River, the section just left before you drive the Swartberg Pass. The Bothas at Boomplaas, the section next to the Cango Caves. From Matjiesrivier to Oudtshoorn is 40 km, just too far to do the whole trip with a horse, back and forth, in one day.

Schoemans (derived from Schumacher) & Spies (derived from Spiess) come from Germany. Although people came from Germany, all the people spoke Dutch here and consequently everyone learned the language in time. Similarly, the French Huguenots who fled here in 1688, for their freedom of their faith. A family of Scheepers fled at the time and hid at Schoemans farm. The Spies have small community’s , especially those in the Netherlands, of which they originally came.

The Schoeman who stayed here at De Oude Meul, soon saw an opportunity to build a stable and exchange horses here. So people could travel from Matjies River early in the morning, after two hours of horse rides and with fresh horses continue the ride to Oudtshoorn. Late afternoon, when they return, they used their horses again to tackle the next 20km. This old horse stable is still in its original condition. Old mud walls & yellowood barn.

The Old Mill has also emerged from distress. Because the farm is halfway between the Swartberg and Oudtshoorn, the Meule has been built here and farmers could grind their corn and maize for a part here. The Mill was built in 1850 and has been working for almost 100 years.

In 1836 the population in the provinces became too big and many family’s packed their wagons and moved out of here, to the plains. The Spies established into many cities, in the Free State and Transvaal, with German names, such as the places from which they came from Germany. The Schoemans went to Schoemansdal, where they started farming with tobacco. The Spies were the first tobacco growers (light dry) in the Cape. The Spies and Schoemans later opened tobacco factories here. The Cango Ostrich Farm is currently in the old Schoeman tobacco factory.

Here is an old cemetery still on our farm, with gravestones written in Dutch. The many piles in the cemetery are due to the black flu at the time. So many children died, parents could not afford tombstones for all.

Restaurant Oudtshoorn

Restaurant Oudtshoorn Restaurant Oudtshoorn Restaurant Oudtshoorn Restaurant Oudtshoorn

"The building was restored in 2003 when Christo & his wife Doret built 12 four star guestrooms next to the old building. The "Old Mill" inside the restaurant, was in production for about a hundred years and all the wheat from the Cango Valley was milled here. The Mill closed down in 1920 and for more than 80 years it was used as a storage facility."


De Oude Meul is een van die oudste plase in die Vallei. Schoeman Plat, het die hele vallei, in 1765, gekoop om te boer. Hy het 16 kinders gehad en kon dus vir elkeen stukkie grond gee om op te boer en so 'n lewe te kon maak. Omdat die water naby die landbougrond was, kon die eerste boer hier, redelik maklik water uit die rivier kry om sy gewasse te besproei.

Na die Schoemans het die Spiese grond gekoop in Klein Le Roux-rivier. Die Terblanche by Mattjiesrivier , die gedeelte net links voordat jy die Swartbergpas ry. Die Bothas by Boomplaas, die gedeelte langs die Kango Grotte. Van Matjiesrivier tot op Oudtshoorn is 40 km, net te ver om met kar en perde die hele reis, heen en weer, in een dag te doen.

Schoemans (afgelei van Schumacher) & Spies (afgelei van Spiess) kom uit Duistland, Alhoewel die mense uit Duitsland gekom het, het al die mense hier Nederlands gepraat en gevolglik het almal die taal mettertyd aangeleer. So ook die Franse Hugenote wat in 1688 hiernatoe gevlug het a.g.v. hul geloof. ‘n familie Scheepers het destyds gevlug en by Schoemans kom wegkruip.

Die Spiese het klein Nedesettings met name soos die inDuitsland, waarvan hul oorspronklik gekom het.

Die Schoeman wat toe hier gebly het, het gou geleentheid gesien om 'n stal te bou en perde hier te ruil. Mense kon dus van Matjiesrivier vroeg die oggend ry, na twee ure hier perde ruil en met vars perde die rit na Oudtshoorn voortsit. Laat middag, as hul terugkom, het hul weer hul perde ingespan om die volgende 20km terug aan te pak.

Die Meule het ook uit nood ontstaan. Omdat die plaas halfpad tussen die Swartberg en Oudtshoorn is, is die Meule hier gebou en kon boere hul koring en mielies om 'n deel hier kom maal. Die Meul is ongeveer in 1850 gebou en het vir bykans 100 jaar gewerk.

In 1836 het die bevolking in die geweste te groot geword en is vele waens hier uit, die vlaktes in. Die Spiese het vele stede gestig, in Vrystaat en Transvaal, met Duitse name, soos die plekke waarvandaan hulle uit Duitsland gekom het. Die Schoemans het tot in Schoemansdal getrek, waar hulle ook met tabak begin boer het. Die Spiese was die eerste tabakverbouers (ligdroog) in die Kaap. Die Spiese en Schoemans het later tabakfabrieke hier oopgemaak. Die Kango Volstruisplaas is tans in die ou Schoemanstabakfabriek.

Hier is tans ‘n ou begrafplaas nog op ons plaas, met grafstene geskryf in Nederlands. Die baie hopies in die begraafplaas is a.g.v die swartgriep destyds. So baie kindertjies oorlede, ouers kon nie vir almal grafstene bekostig nie.

Die ou perdestal is nog in sy oorspronklike toestand. Ou modder mure & geelhout perdekrippe.

Restaurant Oudtshoorn Restaurant Oudtshoorn Restaurant Oudtshoorn The Old Mill

weather forecastweather forecast facebook

9 Rated by Guests
Booking.com award 2016

Old Mill Lodge & Restaurant
Accommo Direct
Visit Old Mill Lodge & Restaurant on SA-Venues.com
Book Oudtshoorn places to stay
Old Mill Lodge & Restaurant in Oudtshoorn received a Top-Rated, Pet Friendly Self Catering Destination Award.
Cango Accommodation Units & Restaurant (in association with Old Mill Lodge & Restaurant) Received a Travellers' Choice Award from Afristay

South African Flag
Luxury Travel and Hospitality

Old Mill Lodge & Restaurant
Old Mill Lodge & Restaurant


Terms & Conditions   Copyright © 2022  ::  De Oude Meul Restaurant  •  Site by:  WebWorX